By Richard Whatmore, Brian Young
A better half to highbrow History presents an in-depth survey of the perform of highbrow historical past as a self-discipline. 40 newly-commissioned chapters exhibit top worldwide learn with extensive insurance of each point of highbrow background because it is at the moment practiced.
- Presents an in-depth survey of contemporary study and perform of highbrow history
- Written in a transparent and obtainable demeanour, designed for a global audience
- Surveys a few of the methodologies that experience arisen and the most historiographical debates that challenge highbrow historians
- Pays certain realization to modern controversies, delivering readers with the most up-tp-date evaluate of the field
- Demonstrates the ways that highbrow historians have contributed to the historical past of technology and drugs, literary reviews, paintings historical past and the heritage of political thought
Named Outstanding educational name of 2016 through Choice Magazine, a booklet of the yankee Library organization
Read or Download A companion to intellectual history PDF
Best historiography books
Bringing her unique insights into concept and philosophy to endure upon the arguable query of revision in Irish heritage, Evi Gkotzaridis provides the 1st ancient and theoretical exam of the trailblazer historians who, from 1938, spearheaded an unpoliticized Irish background. Drawing on hitherto unused information, Trials of Irish background exhibits how the enterprise to disenthrall Irish and eu heritage from reliable propagandas proved stimulating and not easy, yet perilous.
In keeping with the author's greater than 50 years of expertise as a qualified historian in educational and different capacities, Being a Historian is addressed to either aspiring and mature historians. It bargains an outline of the kingdom of the self-discipline of historical past this present day and the issues that confront it and its practitioners in lots of professions.
Questo libro si affianca alle altre analoghe consultant storiche l. a. cui comune griglia di base (Concetto, periodizzazione, problemi – Le grandi questioni – Le Fonti – Come lavora lo storico) è stata pensata ed elaborata in funzione della nuova didattica universitaria. Oggi che il vecchio corso monografico è morto according to sempre, l’ambizione di questa Guida allo studio della storia greca è quella di offrire –non senza originalità– allo studente spunti consistent with una riflessione sulla disciplina e al docente argomenti di discussione e di ulteriore approfondimento.
The Communal Age in Western Europe, c. 1100-1800 deals a clean interpretation of the importance of cities, villages and parishes within the medieval and early smooth interval. Drawing on quite a lot of basic and secondary resources from quite a few areas, Beat Kümin:
• explains how neighborhood groups empowered universal humans via collective enterprise and a level of neighborhood autonomy
• demonstrates how communal devices impacted on key historic advancements, from the Reformation to nation formation
• offers case reviews of the Italian urban, the English parish and the village within the Holy Roman Empire
• surveys communal origins, constitutions and cultural representations, in addition to contested matters resembling gender roles and internal tensions
• evaluates similar historiographical debates on communalism and republicanism.
Informed by way of a really comparative and built-in technique, this unique quantity bargains a great creation to eu historical past 'from below', and to the basic construction blocks of ecu society.
- Comparison and History: Europe in Cross-National Perspective
- Introduction à l'historiographie
- Imperial Networks: Creating Identities in Nineteenth Century South Africa and Britain
- African History: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
- The Nanjing Massacre in History and Historiography (Asia: Local Studies Global Themes)
Extra info for A companion to intellectual history
1940, The Eighteenth‐Century Background: Studies on the Idea of ‘Nature’ in the Thought of the Period. London: Chatto. Winch, Donald. 1996, Riches and Poverty: An Intellectual History of Political Economy in Britain 1750–1834. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. Chapter Two Intellectual History and Historismus in Post‐War England1 Brian Young Introduction: The history of political thought and the history of historiography When the history of the study of intellectual history in post‐war Britain comes to be written, some explanation will have to be given for the dominance of the history of political thought in such activity.
Meinecke, 1948: 32) The English translation of Meinecke’s lecture appeared in a collection edited by a Jewish Czech émigré historian to America, Hans Kohn, who had been inspired to compile a series of essays illustrating the peculiar problems of modern German history, both as direct experience and as the subject of scholarly enquiry, through visits he had made to Germany in 1951 and 1952. Along with Meinecke’s lecture and essays on Bismarck and allied ‘problems’ in German history, the 63‐year‐old Kohn – who had fought for the Habsburg empire in the First World War – published an essay by Johann Albrecht von Rantzau, a middle‐aged professor at the university of Hamburg who had studied under Meinecke in Berlin.
1936, The Great Chain of Being: a Study of the History of an Idea. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. McMahon, Darrin M. and Moyn, Samuel. 2014, Rethinking Modern European Intellectual History. New York: Oxford University Press. T. 1896–1912, The History of European Thought in the Nineteenth Century, 4 vols. Edinburgh: Blackwood. Stephen, Leslie. 1876, The History of English Thought in the Eighteenth Century, 2 vols. London: Smith, Elder. Weber, Samuel. 1987, Institution and Interpretation.
A companion to intellectual history by Richard Whatmore, Brian Young